We are back
So what can you expect to find and do at Thirsty Chesterton Road after our upgrade? Here’s our 1 to 10.
1. We’ve cranked up the bar side of our business by installing 22 taps and a properly chilled cellar, keeping everything in tip-top condition. 12 lines are for beer, 6 for wine and 4 for cocktails. Yes, we did say cocktails – on tap. They’re delicious – come and try them. We’ve also recruited a lovely new lass to manage the site – Georgia Goddard. Some of you will recognise her from her previous job at the Pint Shop. Say hello to her – she doesn’t bite.
2. We’ve got rid of half our wine shelves to make space for new tables. But we still have around 150 wines in bottle (many chilled in the fridge), along with 6 on tap available by the glass (including ‘Prosecco’ on tap). Expect to see more new wines on the shelves – we want to share a whole world of great wine with you.
3. We’re still a bottle shop. You can buy any of our wines, beers or ciders to take home. *We’ve actually cut the take-home price of our wines by 10-20%*. You also get 5% off 6 bottles of anything, 10% off 12 bottles of anything. We’re not Aldi, but we now offer better value for money on take-home wine than we ever did.
4. The beer & cider shelves have magic’d themselves into fridges. Every single one of our 100 or so craft beers in bottle or can is now chilled, ready for you to crack open onsite or at home. You will find Cambridge’s most adventurous, interesting range of craft beers from across the UK, continental Europe and beyond, with something for everyone. We have over a dozen craft ciders now, too.
5. We’ve tarted up the old bunker out back and rechristened it the Den, with the aim of making it much cosier. We’ve put in different seating options, including some very funky booths made with comfy old bus seats and a bloody huge old barrel to perch around. Go have a nose through to the back next time you pop in. *This space is available for private hire if you’re planning a party.*
6. We’ve installed a brand new kitchen and will be offering the most beautiful cold meat and cheese platters, day and night, carefully selected with our good mate Sam Ryan at Culinaris on Mill Road. Alongside, your favourite food trucks will continue to serve out front in the evening.
7. We’ve poshed up our loo, which was looking a bit crummy before, if we’re honest.
8. We positively encourage you to order draft beer by half or two-thirds pint, rather than full pint. It costs the same per volume, but means the beer stays the right temperature while you drink it and you get to explore more different beers. Some of our beers are quite boozy, too, so a smaller measure ain’t a bad idea.
9. We’re planning a groovy line-up of regular events and fine happenings: tastings, music, talks, special food nights, ritual sacrifices (errrr, shurely shome mishtake?). Keep an eye on notices onsite, sign up to our email newsletter or follow us on social.
10. But don’t worry, we’ve been very careful not to lose what makes Thirsty Thirsty. We’ve smartened things up a bit, but we never want to be seen as yer nobby fancypants sorts. We’re a gang of folk who enjoy great booze, great grub and great times. We love a good laugh and we will never take things too seriously. The new Chesterton Road retains the quirky, friendly, convivial feel that you’ve all warmed to since we opened in 2015. Cheers to that!
Lots of liquid love,
Sam & all the Thirsty mob